I'm one of those people who has to have the TV on even if I'm not really watching it. Psychologically, it's because I don't like being alone with myself or something like that. But that's another column...
Yesterday, I was cleaning the house (no, that's not the unbelievable part) with the news on in the background. "Dancing With The Stars" was announcing the line-up for next season (yep, this is what passes for news nowadays). Out of the corner of my ear, I hear "Pittsburgh Steeler ----". I didn't even turn to look - I immediately thought of Hall of Famer wide receiver Lynn Swann, who, by the way, I thought would be an excellent choice.
Then this morning I see that, no - it's not Lynn Swann, it's not Terry Bradshaw, it's not even Big Ben... it's Hines Ward!!! #86!! The only Steeler that actually showed up at the Super Bowl!! I was shocked - SHOCKED I tell you!
I know you're thinking, "So what? Who cares?" Well, there are a couple of reasons this disturbed me:
1. The "stars" on DWTS are, for the most part, "has-beens". Not that I disliked them all - I actually liked quite a few, but as with all the other "celebrity" shows, the majority of them haven't been "stars" in many, many years.
2. I can already hear the derisive comments from the Cheeseheads*: "Well, if you can't win the Super Bowl Ring, I guess this is just as good." (And don't even get me started on the Cowboys and Patriots!)
However, after reading the post on Steelers.com (http://www.steelers.com/), I decided this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Hines Ward seems to have a good attitude about it - approaching it as a fun endeavor, but admitting that, because of his competitive nature - he IS going for the win!
Well, I'm still not totally convinced, but I'm with-holding judgement while I ponder on it some more. I'm already realizing at least one positive aspect of it - I'll get to see Hines Ward in something other than football padding! OOH, and what about those behind-the-scenes clips - they always flash plenty of skin during the practice sessions. Okay, this might be acceptable!
Anticipation.... Anticipa-a-tion... (Get it? A ketchup reference - from the old commercial - Heinz ketchup, too if I remember correctly!)
Stay tuned...
Will Hines get to partner with Edita?
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, Edyta is no longer with DWTS. Besides, I'm certain that if my fantasy guy was paired with your fantasy woman there would be a cosmic explosion!
ReplyDelete